Total Pageviews

Welcome

Thank you for taking an interest in reading my Blog. I write about travel, beer, identity, experiences, etc. Anything that comes to mind. I also have guest appearances from friends to mix it up. Overall, I just enjoy writing.

Enjoy,

Roy Pogorzelski

About Me

My photo
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
I am an award winning and community minded social activist and entrepreneur. I own 3 businesses, lecture in University, PHD candidate and consultant/facilitator. I have lived, worked and studied in Belgium and Austria and facilitated/spoke in Switzerland, Sweden, Kenya and Mexico. My writings are my own reflection on life, love and liberty.

Wednesday 4 July 2012

Amsterdam x THREE

Greetings,


  It has been awhile since I blogged, so naturally if nothing happens in your life in the last month, then I would say it is time to spice it up.  I have lots to talk about, but first I want to focus on my most recent trip to Amsterdam.  Last week, I took another visit to the city of Sin - they call Vegas "Sin City", but wait till you see the Red Light District.  

  Both of these places are cash cows to say the least, but Amsterdam is also chalk full of history.  This recent visit to Amsterdam was my 3rd time being in this (on everyone's bucket list, as a place to be at some point in their life) place.  After three times, can you believe that I have never had a picture with the gigantic I AM-STERDAM sign, I have always meant too, but I guess this glorious potential photo that I will inevitably throw on Face Book will have to wait.

  The first time I made the journey to Amsterdam, I was an inexperienced, fresh out of University traveler, who had never stayed in a hostel, let alone ever dreamt of being in a place like Amsterdam.  I went with my girlfriend Hanne, who organized everything because of my inability to abstractly think of a world outside of Saskatchewan.  We stayed in Nordwijk, about a 45 minute drive into Amsterdam city at a Beach in the Flying Pig Hostel.  This was a nice place and gave a free shot every night at 9pm, needless to say I question the authenticity of the alcohol.


  I remember my first visit to Amsterdam, it was quite astounding, looking around, capturing the images I have only heard about, adamantly holding my wallet, as a strong line of defence against pick pocketers.  The canals were unbelievable, first canals I had viewed at this point, the street from the station that lead to Dam sqaure where Madame Teusseau (sorry if mispelt) was situated.  As well, the tourists were off the hook, they flowed everywhere like a swarm of mosquitos after a fresh rainfall.  The hustle and bustle felt like Manhattan at noon hour, I said felt like, nothing could compare to that swarm.

  My first visit was full of culture, naturally we viewed the An Frank House,


The wax Museum a fore mentioned,


saw Rembrandts impressive statue and lastly viewed the Sex Museum, wow what a tourist trap that was, but who cares your on vacation.  My experience with the Red Light District was only a day time experience, so not much to mention, but we did eat at a touristy place that appeared as if laundering drugs and money through the back door was a possibility, needless to say the food was terrible, but are the Dutch really known for their fine cuisine anyways.


  Jumping ahead two years later and I found myself passing through Amsterdam a second time with my backpacking entourage.  Many of my fellow backpackers were relatively new to exploring Europe, so as the experienced veteran I booked the trip, and I wanted to see this Amsterdam's Red Light District in action (especially with all the rumors that it might shut down).  

  This time, I rode on the Canal Bus transport and being as I had seen enough separated from the group, rented a bike and rode out to explore the Van Gogh Museum and the parks outside the centre.  Now to describe my bike ride, I need you to close your eyes (seriously close them) and picture yourself stuck in traffic in downtown Toronto at rush hour.  Now after your done shivering at the thought, the point is that bike riding is an art form in the Netherlands, so I was impressed with my new art form.

  Now I saw the Red Light District at night for the first time, needless to say it is busy, it wants your money and it will find some way to get it.  You will understand what I am talking about, when you open your wallet the next day and go oh shit, the money for my trip to Denmark has just enhanced the Dutch economy ; )

  It was a great experience, I was 26, the hustle and bustle was crazy, weed was smoked everywhere and the streets were filled with drunken British bachelor parties, so this is were I said perhaps I should have my Bachelor party here, but what could I have been thinking.  After our money had been drained, and after a number of touristy meals (meaning bathroom breaks were necessary).  My time there was impressive, but very pricy.

  Fast Forward to 2012, in fact just a week ago, my buddy Derek and Donny,


 who were to be my groomsmen in my wedding party until the wedding got cancelled, still trooped it to Europe to come visit me.  Now, I have been in Belgium for two months and I welcomed a nice visit from Saskatchewan, as I continue job searching and Hanne and I try to get our life back on track.

  Therefore, what other place to meet then in Amsterdam, with Nizer (another groomsmen) joining us over the weekend.


I took the bus from Brussels North Station (the scene of the Brussels criminal red light district) to Amsterdam.  I met the fellas at our hostel in the Red Light District (Hostel the Globe), we were in a 22 room mixed bedroom that contained an overwhelming amount of dudes, the room stunk regularly and there was a giant 7 foot Irish man that slept and farted (overwhelming farts) in our area.  He was a nice enough guy, but needless to say I will let Donny tell the story.  As well, my first meal there still gives me nightmares, I ordered a BLT, very hungry and excited, the food came on untoasted bread, with very little lettuce, one tomato and two uncooked slices of bacon laying on top of the bread.



I took one bite, spit it back on the plate and took it to the guy working, the hostel staff never really seemed to care much.

  The first night went well, we partied Amsterdam style in the Red Light District, but keeping in mind I am 30 now, the zest to go crazy when you are 26 has left.  The Red Light District (was just the same as when we left it, nothing had changed), most of the stuff to do or see, we have done before.  In that case, we started noticing the scammers and the drug dealers more, the dirtiness of the area and how crowded it was.  

  As well, the food again was not that impressive and often times were over priced.  Don`t get me wrong, Amsterdam is an amazing city, but once you have partied in the Red Light District once, in my opinion that is enough.  We spent a lot of money and all of us still are wondering on what.  The highlight was seeing the fellas and touring the Heineken Brewery, which I will write for the WBC website, but again boredom scammed us into sitting in an ice bar sipping (I think it was vodka) out of ice cubes and watching a racially insensitive 4D show with the little Inuit character.

  

  On top of it, we drank Heineken`s all trip, now for one or two pints this is okay, but for a whole weekend, this can get kind of tough, so needless to say, the city is still beautiful, a must see, but for myself, the Red Light District and me are through, but I say that now because in September my brother comes down......YIKES!!!



  I will just have to tape my wallet closed......................

  Cheers,

  Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Business & Story-Telling

Recently, I have started to think about entrepreneurship and the need for business owners to open up be vulnerable and tell their stories.  ...