Total Pageviews

Welcome

Thank you for taking an interest in reading my Blog. I write about travel, beer, identity, experiences, etc. Anything that comes to mind. I also have guest appearances from friends to mix it up. Overall, I just enjoy writing.

Enjoy,

Roy Pogorzelski

About Me

My photo
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
I am an award winning and community minded social activist and entrepreneur. I own 3 businesses, lecture in University, PHD candidate and consultant/facilitator. I have lived, worked and studied in Belgium and Austria and facilitated/spoke in Switzerland, Sweden, Kenya and Mexico. My writings are my own reflection on life, love and liberty.

Thursday 24 May 2012

Going on 3 Weeks!!

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I arrived back in Belgium.  I have lived, worked and studied abroad before and was also proud at one point to call myself a Leuvenite, but this time is different.  Life as a student is a temporary thing, some people draw it out as much as is possible compiling papers after papers, but eventually it has to come to an end.

When I graduated my Master's last time, I made a choice to return to Canada and gain work experience.  To my surprise the work I got was exactly what I have strived to do.  It was a very tough decision to leave home, where I had adjusted back to my Canadian lifestyle.

Upon arriving back, I remember just how much of a student life exists here in Leuven, there are students everywhere.  This is a vibrant city of classmates that attend a morning lecture and then venture to the Oude Markt, rain or shine, to enjoy a "pinje" - small pint (250ml).


For international students if you go to Pangaea house, you can get a cold Stella Artois for 1 Euro (I agree this sounds like a trap, for us beer drinkers), so it is imperative in order to be productive to try and stay away from this place, but the atmosphere of international people almost draws you to the action.


I was stunned to find that some of my old friends that I have not seen for around 4 years, were still in Leuven, my Canadian buddy Chris Adrian, American Sicilian Sage Waters and the hilarious Sajjad (who calls himself Savage on Face Book). 


During this time it has been imperative that I try to find some sort of routine in my life.  Hanne is working most days from early morning to late evenings in Ghent, so I need to find a routine that feels comfortable.  I thought walking into Leuven would be like walking into a time machine, but low and behold 3 years does change a lot. 

Every morning, I try to venture to the Sport Kot to go for a run and stay in shape, because believe me with Donor Kebaps, Groot Frites met Mayonnaise and cheap high qaulity Belgian beer it is not hard to become a night owl.  I have met with some old friends, which has been great to catch up.  However, that is the point, it is "catching up", my life has been flipped upside down.

It is a lot of things, need to open a banck account (not done), need to get health insurance (not done), need to get a gym membership (in progress), need to get used to riding a bike next to a bus that appears unfazed that I exist on the road with 20 bikers trailing up my a@$.  I have chosen old places to attempt my work, but most libraries only allow students in if they have a card, as you must scan it to open up the high security, so I am using Hanne's card.

On the job front, it has been a lot of leads.  I have applied to be a bartender at the Irish pub I frequent, won't know till June and even then, I heard there was stiff competition.  I often joke (from Professor to Bartender) - talk about limbo.  I have also been in discussion with a women about teaching English in Brussels, but again an outside lead, then there is a few volunteer opportunities, so the search continues.

However, I did get to lecture to a Anthropology of Law class and am still free lance writing, but the immigration continues.  Belgium is such a great country, but often I feel like I gave up a great opportunity at the University - "The things we do for love".

Till next time - become a member of World Beer Collection!!!!!  (haha)


Roy


1 comment:

  1. The things we do for love eh. I know it must be tough but I'm sure you'll get it done! Because you are good enough, smart enough adn dog gonnit, people like you.

    ReplyDelete

Business & Story-Telling

Recently, I have started to think about entrepreneurship and the need for business owners to open up be vulnerable and tell their stories.  ...