Total Pageviews

Welcome

Thank you for taking an interest in reading my Blog. I write about travel, beer, identity, experiences, etc. Anything that comes to mind. I also have guest appearances from friends to mix it up. Overall, I just enjoy writing.

Enjoy,

Roy Pogorzelski

About Me

My photo
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
I am an award winning and community minded social activist and entrepreneur. I own 3 businesses, lecture in University, PHD candidate and consultant/facilitator. I have lived, worked and studied in Belgium and Austria and facilitated/spoke in Switzerland, Sweden, Kenya and Mexico. My writings are my own reflection on life, love and liberty.

Thursday 3 May 2012

Travel/Immigrating Blog!!

May 3, 2012 - 14:22pm (Toronto, Ontartio)

Well the day is finally here.  The moment I have been waiting for and counting down until.  However, I find myself with a lot of mixed emotions.  I have had a lot of time to prepare for this move to Belgium, but it just never seems like there is enough time and as cliche as it sounds, time goes pretty darn fast.

Recently, my fiance and I have just cancelled are wedding, it was a difficult decision that consumed my mind for the better part of April, but the uncertainty of the future, mixed with the fact that we have not seen each other for the past 8 months had something to do with it.  The mission is to re-connect, have a relationship and see how adapting to Belgian lifestyle can occur.

It is not easy to give up a career, family, friends and familiarity for a country that is never your own and no matter how much one tries to integrate, there is always a sense of being a stranger, where the customs, traditions and ways of life of the locals is programmed differently.  Of course, I am heading to Belgium because of LOVE, I love my "girlfriend" and I would do anything to make the relationship work, including hopping on a plane to Belgium.  It has been an amazing 6 years of knowing one of the most strong/concrete people in my life and an opportunity to explore a future together is exciting.

This morning started off okay, but was very sad as I said good-bye to my father, brother and mom.  Especially at a time when one of my Auntie's is losing her battle with cancer, it makes me feel guilty for not being there for my family (most notably Grandma and Mom).

John dropped me off at the airport in his newly purchased 2000 Ford Focus, as I checked in my luggage, I forgot that Air Canada in an attempt to not go bankrupt in the future, makes people going overseas with 2 bags pay for the extra one, which never used to be the case, so immediately good start to the morning as I have to fork over 75 dollars to get one suitcase on the plane.

Next encounter is my cork screw, as I pass through security, I pass through the metal detector gate okay, which always feels like a huge accomplishment, especially as you see the person off to the side getting the more personal metal detector swiped over their body.  Then one of the security people pulled me aside and said they had to find my metal cork screw, therefore, the contents of my bag are thrown out in front of a hurried audience.  GOOD NEWS though, the cork screw is discovered and everyone on the plane can feel safe.

I enter the plane and get my seat 15C, always must sit on the aisle, this serves to important functions: 1.) I can stretch my leg into the aisle, this provides a great relaxed feeling, but when it comes to the one time on this flight to Toronto that they give drinks, then I have to tuck em.  2.) Bathroom access - this is extremely necessary, as I am person that gets pee claustrophobic - meaning if I am sitting in a position with restricted bathroom access, my bladder decides to act up. This creates a very uncomfortable journey as I ask the poor person on the aisle to move like 5 times as I have to awkwardly head to the tiny bathroom (always troublesome during turbulence).

As I am sitting in 15C, I notice that people have stopped filing in and the window seat is open.  Now for the lonely traveler, this is a very exciting moment, it is a possibility that somehow you lucked out and got the two seats to yourself; the anticipation expands as I begin forcing myself not to look at the entrance, sure enough and on cue, a girl runs in carrying two carry ons and naturally her seat is 15A.

Currently, I sit after eating some sushi, watching It's Always Sunny in Philadalphia, enjoying a Stella and working on the WBC site.  The wait in the terminal feels uncomfortable and believe it or not, it is hard to find a plug in..........therefore, I suppose I am forced to enjoy another 10 dollar Stella when I need to charge the Lap Top.  The flight leaves at 5pm with a stop over in Montreal, so we start boarding at 16:25, I always love the battle to get on the plane first, the epic struggle, the weird line formations and those sly travelers that have made budding a real talent.  The competition during boarding time gets fierce, but it is not as bad as boarding a Eurolines bus from Warsaw to Vilnuis (now that was terrible).

Thus I have decided to start writing in my blog about my travels and adjustment to Belgium life; as I struggle to find a job, learn a new language, re-connect in my relationship, play football, drink beer and eat frites.  I hope you will join me on this journey, good way to keep people updated, as I venture into the next chapter in my life (Canadian Immigrant).

Till next Blog,

Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Business & Story-Telling

Recently, I have started to think about entrepreneurship and the need for business owners to open up be vulnerable and tell their stories.  ...